Quotes

I haven't been everywhere but it's on my list. ~ Susan Sontag

Monday, December 26, 2011

Jesters Pies - DAEGU

If you're like me and LOVE pies, get yourself over to Jesters Pies NOW!!! :)


I almost cried the first time I came across this lovely little establishment at the foot of Homo and Hooker hill in Itaewon, Seoul. I actually did shed a tear when I learned that this awesome franchise had made it's way to Daegu, a city very close to where I live. Thanks Genevieve and Rodney for telling me about this place!! ^_^ 


Before Jesters, it was almost impossible to find pies in Korea. You would have to search every foreign market and walk down the aisle of every Costco store before finding them. IF you found them. Well I've been there and I've done that but with no luck. Back in South Africa, pies are plentiful and all over the place, with Pick 'n Pay, BP and King Pie stocking the best pies (well at least from my experience). Korea just doesn't do pies. Sooooooo sad!


It's been just a few months that this Australian-born pie shop has been tantalizing the taste buds of people in Daegu.  It took a while for word to get around the expat community in the area, and when it did, it spread like wild fire! After my Facebook status declaring the existence of Jesters Pies, and how delicious they are, I was getting at least a phone call every weekend for directions to this nook of awesomeness.


It literally is a nook. Located in the food court of a huge, popular department store, it's so tiny you're bound to walk right past it or overlook it among the sea of different food stands.


So what's the big deal about pies?


This is!

Freshly baked goodness right thurr!! (Jesters Australia)


Prices range from 3500 - 4000. 





And this!! Mmmmm.....



















Among the favourites to try are 'Maharaja' and 'Southern Man'.
My top 4 favourites however, are:

1. 'Southern Man' - Tender steak baked with melted cheddar cheese and gravy. Mmm...

2. 'Maharaja' - A taste of India. Tender chicken baked in creamy butter chicken sauce.


3. 'Dr. Pepper'-  I love steak so my third favourite is Dr Pepper which again is tender steak in pepper sauce.

4. 'Sausage roll' -  Well enough said. It's just that good.

Those with a sweet tooth can try 'Kentucky Delight' made of apples, blueberries and vanilla custard or 'William Tell' which is apple and cinnamon with vanalla custard. Yum!

The pies are delicious. Probably not as good as what you're used to in your home country, but for me I was in heaven. My friends Reneldon, Brian and I had 2 pies each 'coz they're just that good. I love the pastry, it's not as 'flaky' and messy as pies back home. It all stays compact and firm yet very fresh. You can compliment your pie with a grape or mango slush.


Directions to Jesters Pies in Daegu:


It's located in the food court (B1) of Hyundai Department Store (현대 백화 점). This is next to Donga Department Store (동아 백화 점).

Your best bet is just to ask around so you can get specific directions, but to give you an idea:- assuming you're in Daegu already, you can take the subway to Banwoldang station and go to exit 15 which will take you to level B2 of the store. Go up the escalator to level B1 and search for Jesters Pies. It's a few meters from the escalator coming down from the 1st floor.

* Or if you're not underground just find exit 13 of Banwoldang station, you can walk to the Department store from here. From the first floor take the escalator to B1 and it should be a few meters to your left.

Happy eating!!! 










A write-up of the Seoul branch

No comments:

Post a Comment